Monday, August 30, 2010

Shrimp Paella

Shrimp Paella

Happy Monday! Ha! Is there such a thing?

My Monday is packed with meetings. I started writing out my to-do list for this week on Friday.. and it didn't look promising. Gah.

Good thing fit in plenty of rest, relaxation and cooking in this past weekend!

This Shrimp Paella was on the menu Friday and holy wow. Delicious.

The original recipe came from Bon Appetit several years ago. I clipped the recipe and filed it away and forgot about it. A few weeks ago, I found the clip while cleaning up around the apartment and I'm glad I did.

I can't say whether or not this is authentic. It's not that far off from the version I usually make, but I think I like this better.

The nutritional information included with the recipe says it's 503 calories. While I didn't figure what my version came to, it has to be a bit leaner.

For one, I cut back on the rice. I'd rather have less rice and add a side veggie or salad. And, the chorizo I used is actually pretty lean (about 130 calories and 6 grams of fat per link). I also used less than because it's so full of flavor.

Shrimp Paella
Serves 4
Adapted from Bon Appetit


1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces (2 links) spanish-style chorizo
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp saffron threads
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine)
2 1/4 (or more) low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 cup arborio rice
1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup green olives

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo through bell pepper and saute until golden brown - about 8 minutes.

Add the saffron, paprika and 2 cups of the broth and rice. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is just about cooked -- 15 minutes.

Nestle the shrimp in the rice, add the olives, and 1/4 (or more) broth just to moisten. Cover and cook until shrimp is opaque in the center - 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: