Thursday, September 10, 2009

Summer-strone

IMG_2665

It's clearly still summer-like outside, so why am I craving soup and oatmeal? I woke up this morning with a serious oatmeal craving so I hit up the cafeteria on my way up to my desk. I skipped my usual brown sugar, cinnamon and granola combo because I brought agave nectar and peaches to put on top of my oats. It wasn't as good as I imagined it would be, but it came close enough to qwelling the craving.

Last night I was all about the soup. The name makes it sound like it's a minestrone, but it's closer to gazpacho. It has zucchini and pasta like a minestrone might, but it has the pureed tomotes and cucumbers like a gazpacho. Maybe it should be named gaz-rone or maybe minez-pacho? OK, so maybe not.

I warmed mine up to make a hot soup, but you could definitely serve it chilled. I ended up halving the recipe but used the whole can of diced tomatoes anyhow. It probably made for a thicker soup, but it still worked. I also used a basil pesto I had in my fridge because I'm lazy and cheap like that. Why buy the extra ingredients when you have some already made up?

If you can't find israeli couscous (I bought mine from the bulk bins at Whole Foods, but I've also seen a big box of it at Trader Joes), you could use any tiny cut of pasta. You can channel your inner five-year-old and use alphabet pasta. If you can find acini di pepe that's the closest to israeli couscous. In fact, almost exactly the same. Ditalini would probably also work, but it's a little bit larger in size. In a pinch, broken up spaghetti or angel hair might be OK, but I would try any of the above first, personally.

It was even pretty decent as leftovers today. I heart soup.

What foods do you crave?

No comments: