Monday, September 7, 2009

Barbecue Tofu Stir-Fry

Barbecue Tofu Stir-Fry

I admit, this doesn't look the most appetizing. But it's good, I promise. The Asian BBQ sauce was sweet and tangy — making for a unique stir-fry sauce.

This photo also marks the first of the season using the photo box setup I made earlier this year. Makes me sad. But then again, I started dinner really late. And it wasn't until it was done around 8 p.m. that I was actually feeling hungry. I've been this way lately. Not really hungry for much. Nothing sounded good. It was actually hard to choose a menu this week. It's not like me at all.

That doesn't mean I didn't eat.

I started off my day with frozen multi-grain waffles from Aldi. I think these were a special purchase for the store.. not an everyday item. I was out of syrup so I topped it with peaches and blueberries I found cut up in the fridge, probably meant for Friday's breakfast. Also some powdered sugar.

Waffles

Lunch was leftover frittata and the green apple from snack on Friday that I didn't eat.

Leftover frittata

During errands I snacked on a Kashi peanut butter granola bar, and had a couple of these chips when I got home, you know, just to try them out. They're something I could probably eat too many of. I didn't today, though. I'm saving them for dinner later this week.

Chips

Finally, the Barbecue Tofu Stir-Fry. The recipe I used orginally called for bok choy, but broccoli was on special. So I switched it up a bit. I liked the sauce so I'll definitely be looking for other uses for it. My dish used more sauce than it called for. It called for 3/4 cup for 4 servings, but I used about a cup for two servings. You can use less if you prefer, but I wanted mine drowning in sauce tonight.

Barbecue Tofu Stir-Fry
Serves 2

1/2 container extra-firm tofu
2 tsp canola oil
4 oz. cremini mushrooms sliced
4 oz. broccoli florets
1/2 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup Asian BBQ Sauce (recipe follows)
1/2 cup raw brown rice, cooked to package directions

Wrap tofu in paper towels, place in a shallow dish and weigh it down with a heavier dish. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut tofu into cubes.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Stir fry the tofu until browned, 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the mushrooms, broccoli and carrots and stir fry for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add tofu and BBQ sauce to the pan, stir fry 30 more seconds until warmed through. Serve over cooked rice.

Asian BBQ Sauce
Makes 2 1/2 cups

2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp hot chili sauce with garlic
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 tsp ground ginger

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan and add onions. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, whisking to combine. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes.

The sauce will last in an airtight container in the fridge up to one month.

Nutritional info for the stir fry:
nutritionfacts

No comments: