Friday, September 4, 2009

Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata

Frittata

I didn't make a meal yesterday because at the last minute I ended up eating out with my family. I carpool with my dad and I was sitting around chatting with my mom after work when my ear ache started to get worse. So, of course, when my mom asked if I wanted to eat out with them I agreed. Who wants to cook when there's stabbing pain in your ear? Not I!

Unfortunately, that leaves me with no leftovers for lunch. Usually not a problem, though. I keep a few frozen dinners, veggie burgers and the like around just in case.

But then I overslept by an hour and I was rushing out the door like a complete maniac. No coffee, no breakfast, no lunch, no snack. No time. I was off to an awesome start.

So today, I'm sharing what I eat when I don't bring any food to work and have to fend for myself. Lucky for me, we have a decent enough cafeteria that serves breakfast and lunch. It's one of the few perks (if you can even call on-site cafeteria a perk) when you work for "the man" in corporate America.

Breakfast:
Oatmeal. They offer brown sugar, dried cranberries, granola, banana chips, toasted coconut, cinnamon, sugar and milk for toppings. My bowl has brown sugar, granola and cinnamon.

Oatmeal


Plus, a cup of Starbucks, which they brew and sell. The cafeteria sludge is cheaper, but I decided to treat myself today.

Coffee

Lunch:
They have a healthy station, but Fridays are hit or miss and usually don't offer many options. The regular line is always fried or baked fish, mac and cheese, french fries and sometimes you get leftovers from earlier in the week (YUM, right?). So, I stuck to the salad bar today. It's actually pretty decent for a cafeteria. My salad had mixed baby greens, red bell pepper, broccoli, carrots, red onion, grape tomatoes, grilled chicken, blue cheese and a few black olives and a couple of croutons for crunch. I dressed it with a light olive oil vinaigrette.

Salad Bar

Snack:
I actually called the doctor and made an appointment to have my ear checked out.. so I grabbed a chocolate soy milk and a piece of fruit to take with me. My other favorite cafeteria snack is an Odwalla Bar. I had the Mocha-walla earlier this week, actually when I forgot my snack. I decided I prefer the Choco-walla though. It tastes almost like a no-bake cookie. I thought the soy milk and fruit would be better today, though, considering my breakfast lacked its usual fruit and calcium boost. I only drank the soy milk, actually, because I wasn't all that hungry. And good news from the doctor — not an infection. My allergies are probably to blame (surprise).

Snack - Chocolate soy milk and an apple

Dinner:
I'm headed out of town for the weekend to go to the bridal shower her future mother-in-law and sister-in-law are throwing for her.. so I didn't buy much in groceries this week. So here's my best shot at using of the vegetables in the fridge — an asparagus mushroom frittata. I just found the easiest method EVER for making a frittata with whatever you have on hand.

This works with whatever vegetables and cheese you have on hand. Frittatas make a great last-minute meal any time of day and are hard to mess up. This great method to have in your repertoire — especially if you're omelet-impaired like I am.

Basic Frittata
Serves 6 (or serves 3, generously)

Egg mixture:
5 eggs
4 egg whites
salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil

Filling (3 cups total of whatever you want):
1 cup cooked asparagus, chopped
1 cup sauteed mushrooms
1/2 cup cooked red onion
1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar

In a broiler-safe skillet (I used my cast iron) warm the oil over medium heat.

Meanwhile beat the eggs together with salt, pepper and parmesan. Stir in the vegetable filling (in my case the asparagus, mushrooms and onion). Add to the pan, quickly top with the all the filling except the cheddar (if using). Reduce the heat to low and let cook, without stirring, about 15 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is still slightly wet looking.

Top with cheddar cheese and put under the broiler until the cheese melts and the center begins to brown and looks set, about a minute or so.

No comments: