Thursday, January 8, 2009

Andouille with Rice and Beans

Andouille Rice with Beans

This afternoon I suddenly remembered I forgot to put something out for dinner. And unfortunately, I didn't have anything else meatless planned for the week. So I ended up throwing something together last minute.

Years ago I made Andouille Rice with White Beans, I don't think I cared for it much, but I knew it had beans, rice, tomatoes, peppers and andouille — all things I have in the fridge and pantry. I ended up changing it a lot. But, it made a huge serving (about 2 cups) for only 7 points. Can't beat that.

Like the chorizo earlier in the week, smoked sausage would be a good substitute.

Andouille with Rice and Beans
Makes 4 servings
1 cup rice
2 cups vegetable broth
1/8 ground red pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 links andouille sausage, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried basil
3/4 cup canned Great Northern beans

Add rice, water, thyme, and red pepper in a medium pot and prepare rice according to the package's directions.

Meanwhile, heat a saute pan coated in cooking spray over medium heat. Saute peppers and onions until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add in sausage and cook until heated through and beginning to brown.

Add diced tomatoes, oregano and basil and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until most of the liquid is gone.

When the rice is done, add the cooked rice to the saute pan; add in the beans. Cook until heated through.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

love the title of your blog :)
and this recipe looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

i was just looking at a similar recipe to use in the slowcooker, maybe ill try to modify yours!