Monday, July 28, 2008

Gnocchi with Pancetta, Tomatoes and Wilted Spinach

Gnocchi with pancetta, tomatoes and wilted spinach

Even though work and a new exercise routine has been keeping me busy, I've still managed to put a homemade dinner on the table each night. This gnocchi, taken from an Eating Well recipe is great for a busy night.

I'm fascinated with gnocchi. And if I could make my own, I probably would. Here, I used the storebought kind. I've tried frozen and the shelf-stable vaccum sealed. I find the vacuum seals to be a little less dense than the frozen ones, so I prefer those. Others will say the frozen is better. It's up to you which you prefer, or can even find in the grocery stores, I guess.

They cook up in 3 to 5 minutes, which is one reason I like them. The other reason, of course, is that they are potato dumpling. I haven't met a potato or version of one I didn't like.

The garlic and tomato also make this meal. The tomatoes really cook down to create a thick, garlicky sauce. If you didn't want to use the gnocchi a short pasta like a penne or rotini would probably also work -- though, if you can find them.. I'd definitely go for the gnocchi. I also swapped the watercress for spinach.. but a leafy green like swiss chard would probably also work... just as long as it wilts down.

No comments: