Monday, November 15, 2010

Back to running?

Running Shoes

Tonight, I headed down to the gym after work for my nightly workout. I often come in to work later than most and leave later than most just so I can have my pick of machines.

But, even though it was 5:45 p.m. the place was packed. All of my favorite ellipticals were occupied.

I jumped on a treadmill and started to walk instead, figuring that someone might get off a machine sooner rather than later. But, it wasn't long before I got the itch to jog a bit.

So I did. And I'm not in pain, so far. I'm currently icing my back and hoping to be pain free tomorrow, too.

I haven't been able to run without pain since my injury in May. I've tested in a few times, but it either hurt during or hurt after. Not a lot, but some. And if there's one thing I've learned while recovering is that even a little pain is a warning sign of bigger issues to come.

By now, I can handle the elliptical, stationary bike and even free weights without pain. A couple of weeks ago, I even did a gentle 30 minutes of VERY careful yoga with little to no pain.

I jogged s-l-o-w-l-y today (12 minute mile pace) for only 10 minutes split into two five minute increments broken up by walking. But it was jogging so I'll take it.

I'll probably never be a distance runner, but that's OK. I'm just happy to know that someday I might able to run again at all.

Have you battled a sports-related injury? How have you battled the "itch" to do more before you're ready?

No comments: