Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reruns: Corn Casserole and Roasted Brussels

Corn casserole ingredients

I have a pretty busy week ahead of me. So, I was looking for something that makes lots of leftovers and is REALLY simple to throw together.

And you can't get much simpler (or cheaper for that matter!) than corn casserole.

It's a staple side dish at holidays, but it also makes a great main dish with some vegetables or a salad on the side.

Basically, you pile all of the above ingredients in a giant bowl like so:
Ingredients in the bowl

That's 1 cup light sour cream, one box corn muffin mix, 1 beaten egg, 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter, one can creamed corn and one can of whole kernel corn. You don't even have to drain it. Just dump it in.

In the pan

Stir it up and pour it into a 8 inch square baking dish buttered or coated in cooking spray. I like glass so you can how it's browning up. Then bake for about an hour at 350°.

While the corn casserole started in the oven I trimmed up some brussels and gave them a bath in lots of olive oil, salt and pepper.

Brussels in the olive oil bath.

Last time I roasted them I hated them, so I was a little apprehensive about how they'd turn out. The oven was at 350 for the casserole, so I stuck them in the oven for the last 45 minutes to make sure they good and browned up.

While it dinner baked, I squeezed in 30 minutes of yoga. How's that for multi-tasking?

Corn casserole and Roasted Brussels

All done! I loved these brussel sprouts. I ate like a zillion of them. But maybe I was just really hungry. I especially liked the crispy leaves.

What's your favorite leftover-producing meal?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

anything from the crockpot. Actually, one of my biggest crowd-pleasers is a dish I call "chicken goo" which I think once upon a time was a WW recipe. It goes like this:

Put a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot. Dump a bunch of spinach leaves over the top of them, and then dump a bunch of salsa on top of that. Crock until the chicken's done. Then take it out, shred it, put it back, and stir in light sour cream until it's gloopy. (Like how there's no measurements?)

The resulting stuff can be either burrito filling or served over rice. I made it for a potluck a couple of months ago and both my foodie and my functional-cook friends raved about it.