Friday, November 12, 2010

A week's worth of quick meals

pizza with carmelized onion and goat cheese

Saturday night, the pizza dough I made in the mixer when to this Carmelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza. Goat cheese on pizza is amazing. If you've never tried it, do it tomorrow.

The original recipe called for a store-bought crust, but I used one of my favorite pizza dough recipes.

Sunday, I worked with tomatillos for the first time to make Tomatillo Chicken. It was pretty tasty, but maybe not spectacular. Hard to go wrong with bone-in chicken thighs, though. I love dark meat chicken. It tastes like it's much unhealther than it actually is.

tomatillo chicken
Tomatillo chicken

Monday's dinner wasn't pretty and wasn't as good as I hoped.

Being away from home and cooking in my mom's kitchen has thrown me off a bit this week. I did my grocery shopping, then threw out the list I wrote up - including the short list of meals I planned for the week. Oops.

I can't remember two meals I planned. I'm almost out of groceries, so who really knows what I was going to make.

So, to make up for the fact that I have no idea what meals I bought groceries for, I ended up eating bagged frozen meatballs, some slightly questionable marinara sauce, and leftover sauteed veggies on Tuesday. Definitely not as good as homemade spaghetti and meatballs.

I actually cooked Wednesday despite a super long day at work. These Fast Chicken Fajitas really hit the spot for some reason. They have simple ingredients, but somehow they ended up being much more flavorful than I expected. Must've been the boneless/skinless chicken thighs I used. :)

chicken fajitas

And that brings us to last night: canned soup and grilled cheese. Unfortunately, I only found light bread and medium cheddar. The sandwich had pear, cheddar, and bacon.

canned soup and grilled cheese

It was just OK. When made with good quality cheese bread and bacon, this sandwich is actually fantastic. Life changing even. Sometimes shortcuts with ingredients don't really pay off. This is one of those times.

In other news, I ordered some lighting type equipment this week: continous light stands with bulbs and another little gadget to help with my onboard flash. I'm anxious to see if it works. I'm sick of this poor lighting.

No comments: