Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Corn Cakes with Apples and Sausage

Corn Cakes with Apples and Sausage

A few weekends ago, I tried to make my own sausage. Healthier sausage. I used Penzey's sausage spice, but added it into ground turkey. The sausage tasted like sausage, but note to the wise: Extra lean ground turkey breast does not a good sausage make. I knew this much, of course. Fat=tasty. In just about every instance I can think of. But fat does not look so great when I'm wearing it. And I was attempting to do Core, and sausage is not Core.

The Corn Cakes with Apples came out to 11 points, so I was looking to lighten the point load by making my own bulk sausage using Core ingredients. I later learned that regular lean ground turkey is also Core, which would have made a much better sausage, although maybe still not a good sausage.

The actually corn cakes were good. The apples were just, eh. If you wanted to make the corn cakes core, you could just fry up some polenta in canola oil. Tasted just about the same, actually. But I think I'd just spend the points on the pancake variety, truthfully.

A decent enough breakfast, but not my best.

No comments: