Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Barley-Mushroom Soup

Barley-Mushroom Soup

It has gotten really cold really quick. I actually broke down last night and turned on the heat because my thermostat was showing that it was below 65° in my apartment. Probably less in the bedroom and living room because of the heat zapping windows.

The Mushroom-Barley Soup was one of my better ideas this month. Cold winds and sleet=soup weather. And barley is a fiberlicious grain. that fills me up at lunchtime. About 1 cup of pearl barley cooked gives you 3.5 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. Less protein that brown rice but it has nearly double the fiber. The recipe is Core, so I really didn't need to mess with it, but I did, of course. I added two cups of shredded rotisserie chicken just for some more bulk. And I added more veggies, too. Yum. Veggies.

It's best the day you make it, though. The barley tends to absorb the liquid making it less of a soup and more of a stew. Tasted great to me anyhow.

No comments: