Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spinach Artichoke French Bread Pizza

Spinach Artichoke French Bread Pizza

By the time I made it home last night it was nearly dark because I decided to run errands after work. I stopped at the library, Great Harvest Bread and Costco and when I was done it was nearly 7 p.m., so I just didn't feel like fussing much with dinner.

Perfect time for me to indulge in a pizza craving, if you ask me.

I ended up making it with artichokes and spinach — inspired by a recipe I saw in a magazine. The recipe just seemed way too hard to make a healthier version and not ruin the overall flavor. I'm sure it can be done, but who wants to play around with the recipe when you're tired and hungry?

I ended up with a more traditional tomato sauce and went from there. The crust is a whole grain baguette I picked up at Costco while I was out running errands. I usually to keep a baguette in the freezer whenever the mood strikes me to make garlic bread or croutons.

OK, now I'm off to get some real work done. I hate bringing work home, but at least I can work on it while I watch Ugly Betty!

Spinach Artichoke French Bread Pizza
Serves 2 (11 points for a good-sized slice)

1/2 a whole grain baguette, split in half to form two crusts
1/2 cup tomato sauce (see link above for what I used)
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
Artichokes canned in brine, chopped
1/2 a 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400°.

Top each slice of bread with 1/4 cup of sauce and a little bit of mozzarella. Top with artichokes (however many you want) and spinach. Sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cheese melts and bread browns on the edges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh, this looks great! I love french bread pizza but never think to make it.