Monday, February 2, 2009

Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Peanut Butter

stirfry2

I love stir fries. Mostly because it's a great way to use up leftover veggies. I didn't actually make it to the grocery store until almost 3 p.m. on Saturday, which meant much of the produce department was slim pickings. Especially for items they don't regularly refill, like the basket of fresh snow peas they usually have out.

So I didn't exactly stick to the recipe I used, but close enough. I ended up using a green pepper instead of snow peas and regular onion rather than green onion. It would have probably been even better as written, but I think it worked just fine. You could also use white mushrooms or even cremini if you don't want to shell out the money for shitakes and broccoli would be a good veggie to add or even carrots. And, if you don't like tofu you could always use beef, chicken or even shrimp.

I would make sure to use the ginger and the garlic, and keep the sauce — that's what makes this recipe unique. I can't say I've had a peanut butter sauce before, but it was really good. Probably something I'll use more often with various different kinds of vegetables. I served this over brown rice, but I think noodles would also be good.


See, when it comes to stir fry, you're only limited by your imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds sooo good!!! I love tofu and ADORE peanut sauce!!!

thanks for making me drool! :)