Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lighter Beef Chili

beef chili

I'm still searching for "my" chili. The Lighter Beef Chili from Everyday Food is much closer to the chili I grew up with. A basic, classic chili. I'm sure there are plenty of people around to remind me that traditional chili doesn't have beans, isn't made with lean sirloin, etc. But the reason I like it really isn't because it's traditional, but because it reminds me of the kind of chili my family made.

It's has cocoa powder, which isn't something my family would use, but it really add a chocolate flavor. I would probably use kidney beans instead of pinto, but the pinto beans were good just the same.

I can't put my finger on why I like this, just like I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like about some of the other recipes I tried. I think it breaks down to the chipotle chili powder. I just don't like it my chili.

I'm not sold on this becoming "my" chili, but it's a make again.

No comments: