Friday, March 30, 2007

A new way to make tabbouleh

Traditional tabbouleh, a middle eastern grain salad, is Core in and of itself. Made of bulgur wheat, parsley, tomato, scallion, with lemon juice and olive oil, the salad is perfectly Core. But from my experiences working with bulgur, it's kind of a pain to make. So when I found this recipe for Quinoa Tabbouleh, I was really into it. I had a box of quinoa that I found at Trader Joe's and was looking for a good recipe to use it in.

And this one is a good one. If you count the oil toward your 2 tsp a day and use ff feta it's probably less than a point if you use the raisins. I suggest using them, btw. I do count points for the feta and raisins, though, b/c I won't use ff cheese. Feta is one of those naturally lower in fat cheeses that if used in moderation really doesn't add many points to a dish.

And because it's already happy hour somewhere...

SangrĂ­a
From Cooking Light

3 tablespoons white rum
3 tablespoons Cointreau (orange-flavored liqueur)
3 tablespoons brandy
6 orange slices
6 lemon slices
1 peach, cut into 6 wedges
1 cinnamon stick
1 (750-milliliter) bottle Rioja or other fruity red wine (such as Beaujolais or Zinfandel)
1 cup sparkling water, chilled

Combine all the ingredients except sparkling water in a large pitcher. Chill for 8 hours. Stir in water immediately before serving. Yield: 6 servings

No comments: