Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Shrimp Stir Fry

Shrimp Stir Fry

When my sister I were young, we fought a lot. And I mean A LOT. So much so that if we were laughing and getting along my mom would separate us or even send us to our rooms because eventually, laughing and getting along would take ugly turn and there'd be plenty of hitting and hair pulling.

We fought over everything — even the color of Tupperware plate we ate our food on. And when we ordered Chinese food for dinner, we fought over who got the baby corn and how many each of us would get.

I'm not even kidding. We painstakinging counted up the number of baby corns in the entire meal (there was never many!) and divided it by two so neither us would have more than the other.

I've always liked corn, but I think back then I was fascinated with the fact that the baby corn looked like miniature corn cobs more than anything else.

As I walked through the "ethnic" foods aisle a few weeks ago, a can of baby corn caught my eye and before I knew it, the can ended up in my cart. It's been in my pantry taunting me until now.

I finally cracked the can open and whipped up a stir fry. The sauce is a cornstarch-thickened sauce (i.e. not authentic at ALL) from Cooking Light. I completely ignored the rest of the recipe and threw in shrimp, baby corn, cremini mushrooms, scallions, ginger, garlic, and some thawed frozen green beans and served it over brown rice.

Please forgive the photo while I work out my lighting issues until my new external flash arrives. The internal flash isn't ideal for food photos and compact florescents, while good for the environment, take some really funky looking pictures.

I also wish I could give an honest review of the sauce, but I couldn't really tell if it was any good. After I snapped this shot I had a slight accident with the bottle of sriracha and ended up with probably more than a tablespoon of the sauce all over my dinner. My nose ran and my eyes watered the entire meal, and the only thing I could really taste was the burning. Oh, the burning.

I like to think I have a high tolerance of spicy foods (at least compared to my friends) but maybe not. Do you like super-spicy foods?

No comments: