Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spicy Orange Chicken Stir-Fry

Spicy Orange Chicken Stir-Fry

Here's another ant-friendly meal. :) I had to slice the onion, but otherwise, it wasn't a very crumb-inducing prep.

This month Bon Appétit has an entire feature on 15-minute meals. Not only are they quick, but many of them, including the Spicy Orange Chicken Stir-Fry, look pretty healthy.

I'm looking forward to trying several other recipes from this feature because this one was fantastic. I love stir fries, and this one goes toward the top of my favorites list. I made a few modifications, of course, but don't I always?

I ended up making two decent-sized servings by using a 1/2 cup raw brown rice instead of 3/4 cup it would have called for if you split the recipe in two. I also ended up using 1/2 pound boneless skinless trimmed chicken breast, only 1/2 tbsp canola oil, and I used more sugar snap peas than the recipe called for. Mine came out to be about 6 ounces of peas. The rest of the recipe was as written, but halved so I would only make two servings.

My version came to 389 calories, 6 grams of fat and 4 grams of fiber. (Complete nutritional info) You can also switch out the protein used for shrimp, beef or even tofu and add all sorts of veggies. You may need to increase the amount of sauce if you use more veggies, but maybe not. That's what's great about stir fries is that you are free to experiment.

No comments: