Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Spicy Sichuan-Style Shrimp

Spicy Sichuan-Style Shrimp

I have a weakness for cheap Chinese takeout. I love it. If there's a night I don't feel like cooking the first thing out of my mouth will almost always be, "Can we go get Chinese food?" I had an friend whose family were Chinese immigrants. His dad would cook traditional Chinese food every night. It wasn't until college when he was really introduced to American's idea of Chinese food.

And it's bad, he says. Really, really awful. And I don't pretend my local takeout joint is anywhere near authentic. And you know what, I don't really care. All I know is, the fried dumplings and Sichuan chicken with vegetables makes my stomach happy.

Unfortunately, my waistline suffers. So, I try to make a lot of Chinese-style food at home so I'll have the craving for the fattening stuff less often. The Spicy Schiuan-Style Shrimp isn't close to my beloved Sichuan chicken, but it still hit the spot. I made it with brown rice and steamed broccoli to make it as Core-friendly as possible. I used canola also made sure the oil wasn't overdone by using only 4 teaspoons and because I couldn't find chile bean sauce, so I used Huy Fong's chile paste (sambal olek), which appears to be Core and black bean sauce. I also left out the sugar. The only thing you'd have to count points for is the seasame oil.

Overall a good, satisfying Chinese-style meal.

Nutrition Info (excluding rice and broccoli): 192 calories, 9 grams of fat, 0 grams of fiber

No comments: